Tuesday, August 7, 2012

80s Action Movies Belong in the 80s

Just watched the first two episodes of the fifth and final season of 'Breaking Bad'. They're great. While watching, I wondered what Jonathan Banks, who plays Mike Ehrmantraut, had been in before.

When I IMDb'd him, I found out he was the #1 henchman in Beverly Hills Cop, so I streamed it to catch him in it. He was good. Even 28 years ago, Banks was a creepy character actor.

Despite looking like Phil Hartman.

"No more half measures."
Now he looks like Ben Kingsley, who is also a badass, if you've seen 'Sexy Beast'.


See?

But lookalikes aside, I watch BHC for the first time since probably the late 80s. Ecch. If you dislike Jerry Bruckheimer's oeuvre now, you should've seen it back then. Honestly. Try to watch Beverly Hills Cop. It doesn't withstand the test of time. My suspension of disbelief had to be partnered with turning off some basic motor skills in order to understand how...wait, why am I writing a review of the movie? All I'll say is try to watch it again, and tell me how this was the highest grossing movie of 1984.

Then again, maybe you shouldn't watch it, and should keep a memory of it being awesome when you were 13. But Jonathan Banks was cool.

No comments: