Thursday, October 7, 2010

Route 66 - Day 13 - Nashville, TN to Toronto, ON!

Pancake Pantry for breakfast. I ordered the Village Smithy Colo Santa Fe cornmeal pancakes, with bacon, cheese, and green chiles in them. As recommended, I covered them with butter, sour cream, salsa, and maple syrup. Tasty!

We drove down 17th St. to get out of the city, which turned into (I think it was called) Music Row: a lot of recording studios and music-related businesses. It was a good indication of how important music is to Nashville. I'm definitely coming back to Nashville!

We're on our way home today, which should be about 12 hours of driving, not including stops. Minor worry for Ivan this morning: he can't find his passport. It's funny what people worry about in different ways, because he's not overly worried, where I'd be freaking out. He's pretty sure it's buried in his luggage, since he hadn't torn it apart yet. We'll stop before the border to look.

Stopped at the Steak 'n Shake outside Florenceville, Kentucky for lunch; never had their stuff before, but was quite good. Chocolate mocha shake, too. I hope I can convince Iv to stop for a malt before we cross the border...

Is it strange we just drove through the entire state of Kentucky without seeing a KFC?

Passed Cincinnati, passed Dayton, and got to Detroit. Sad, abandoned Detroit.



Cincinnati drive-by; Detroit, Cleveland, and Lagrange (ow ow ow ow); Ambassador Bridge in Detroit, which has not yet been stripped for copper wiring.

We got to the border without stopping to look for Iv's passport. I asked him at least three times if he was sure we'd be okay, and Ivan said, "Well, we'll see if my confidence pays off..."

The border guard asked for our passports, so Iv handed him mine, and handed him his driver's license, saying, "I misplaced my passport, but here's my driver's license, and I have my health card and Social Insurance card if you need to see them."

The guy looked at it, asked us the standard questions, and waved us through. Wow! A border guard with common sense.

So we kept driving, and finally, Yonge St.!

Here's a vid of the end of the trip:



Thanks for following, everyone! It's been a great trip, and I'm really glad I did some journalling/blogging about all of this. See you soon!

1 comment:

Molly Leighton said...

Thanks for taking me on your journey! I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you do come back to Nashville, you should try to pop down to Asheville, NC where I live. We are four hours away and it is absolutely amazing here! The Blue Ridge Parkway is a must and the Biltmore House, where I work, is quite something to see. We have also been named Beer City USA. There's always a spare room at our house.